Monday, July 28, 2008

Heat Wave!

My grass looks parched, my flowers are drooping, my car is an oven, and my air conditioner is on overdrive. I don't need a heat advisory to tell me the obvious: it is hot! A Saturday shopping trip is like preparing for a camping excursion: light-weight clothing, adequate fluids, sunscreen, cooler for perishable items, sunglasses, and a baseball hat.

Students from cooler locales may find this weather overwhelming and find it harder to acclimate. Here are some tips:
  • Refrain from physical activity during peak hours.
  • If you must be outside, try to schedule activities in the early morning or late evening.
  • Wear sunscreen.
  • Park in shaded areas.
  • Avoid heavy meals. Try eating smaller meals more frequently.
  • Wear light-weight clothing and avoid dark colors.
  • Keep yourself hydrated, even when you are not thirsty.


FYI: The Public Utility Commission of Texas has issued a yellow alert for electricity conservation.

No comments: